Hi. My name is Derrick Smallwood. I am the founder of The School of Mentalism. I initially created this organization to help eliminate stigmas surrounding the topic of mental health. After having negative personal experiences dealing with the mental health industry, I wanted to create a platform that catered to the mental health-related issues of males in under-served communities. But through research and experience, I discovered insights regarding the mind that can be used to uplift people of any backgrounds. I have found ways to make focusing on mental health empowering, and I now use my knowledge to uplift humanity.
Before founding the organization, I was a decorated Finance graduate and worked as a financial analyst. A series of serious health issues forever changed the course of my life. These occurrences forced me to partake in a spontaneous life journey, which ultimately led me to discover the immense benefits of studying the mind, metaphysics, and esotericism. It is through the application of these practices that I was able to turn my life around. Now, I wish to teach individuals how to do the same.
I decided to become an author and metaphysician because they are occupations which best allow me to serve my purpose – to help spread light in the world. While amid a very confusing time, I experienced what many would refer to as a spiritual awakening, and my life has not been the same since. The process I endured gave me a second chance at life. I am going to do everything within my power to use it wisely.
I am fueled by my desires to assist others and to understand the workings of the universe fully. My ultimate goals are to help others understand the mind, evolve spiritually, and achieve self-actualization. As a natural autodidact, I consider myself a lifelong student and strive to build on my professional and academic foundations continually.
- EMIT Bar Financial Analyst – ExxonMobil
- Development Company Financial Analyst Intern – ExxonMobil
- Commercial Banking Financial Analyst Intern – Wells Fargo Bank
- Life Coach – Voice of Hope Ministries
- Bachelor of Science in Finance (Thomas F. Freeman Honors College Distinction)
- Summa Cum Laude
- Jesse H. Jones Finance Student of the Year (2016)
- Mr. Thomas F. Freeman Honors College (2014)
- Tom Joyner Foundation Hercules Scholar
- Financial Executives International Scholarship Recipient
- Thomas F. Freeman Honors College United Nations Debate Team
- Thurgood Marshall College Fund Leadership Institute Selectee
- Wells Fargo Sophomore Leader
- “Legacy of Booker T. Washington” – Houston Woman Magazine, April 2016
- Mastering the Matrix: Gaining Freedom Through Self-Mastery, January 2020
Memberships and Community Involvement
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Enactus – Vice President
- Collegiate 100 Black Men, Inc. (Secretary & Economic Development Chairman)
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- Golden Key International Honour Society
- Cuney Homes Enactus Initiative Organizer
- Houston Public Library Oral Histories Contributor
- Houston Food Bank Volunteer
- Atlanta Food Bank Volunteer
- Dallas Life Foundation Volunteer